This fellowship honors and helps to continue the work of
Constance Coiner, Ph.D., who died along with her daughter, Ana Duarte-Coiner,
on TWA Flight 800, June 1996. Click
here for information about Constance and Ana.
Two $750 awardsDeadline:
Monday, April 2, 2018Criteria:
- The prize
will be offered to low income undergraduate students who demonstrate an early
interest in working-class and feminist issues, as well activist practice for
- Applicant must be an upper-division student enrolled at UCLA
- Applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Awardee will
be honored at the CSW Awards Reception at UCLA in May/June 2018. Attendance is
- Students who
are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find
detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving
financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the
potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Essay (maximum 1500 words)
a. Discuss how you make sense intellectually of the ways in which society defines and responds to gender, socioeconomic class, and racial and ethnic background.
b. Drawing on your life and academic activities, discuss what you believe and value about gender, class, or race and how you act on those beliefs and values through your work and study. Include details pertaining to your activities, such as the following:
- Course work, internships, field studies and employment
- Campus- or community-based activities/service programs
- Tutoring experiences
- Leadership roles
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcript (For transfer students, community college transcripts are welcomed if applicant feels it will strengthen application.)
- Two Letters of Recommendation: One letter from a faculty member of any university and another letter from a faculty or non-faculty recommender who is knowledgeable about your community work.
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender's email address in the form, and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendations, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, April 2, 2018.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to email@example.com with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.