This fellowship honors the life and helps continue the work of Constance Coiner, Ph.D. 1987, who died, along with her daughter Ana Duarte-Coiner, on TWA Flight 800, June 1996. Click here for more information about Constance and Ana.Amount:
One $1500 fellowshipDeadline:
Monday, April 2, 2018Criteria:
- Applicant must be registered in a doctoral program at UCLA.
- Applicant must be advanced to candidacy by the award application date
- Applicant’s research must focus on feminist and working-class issues
- Applicant must
reflect a genuine interest in both teaching and research that center on
working-class studies and feminist issues
- Applicant must demonstrate excellence in teaching and a commitment to teaching as activism
- Awardee will
be honored at the CSW Awards Reception at UCLA in May/June 2018. Attendance is
- Students who
are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find
detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving
financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the
potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the following documents:
Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Essay (5 single-spaced pages maximum):
a. Discuss how you make sense intellectually of the ways in which society defines and responds to gender, and/or socioeconomic class, and/or racial and ethnic background.
b. Drawing on
your life and academic activities, discuss how your beliefs and values about
gender, class, and race influence your community work, academic study/research,
and approach to teaching philosophy.
Include details pertaining to your activities, such as the following:
- Course work, internships, field studies and employment
- Teaching philosophy, teaching experience, and educational service programs
- Extracurricular activities and service programs, including offices held and leadership roles
- Participation in programs that promote (1) academic opportunities for students from diverse socioeconomic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and (2) community activities for feminist and/or social change
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts
- Two Letters of Recommendation: One letter
from a faculty member of any university focused on scholarship and academic
achievement and another letter from a
faculty member focused on your teaching experience.
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender's email address in the form and an email will be sent via Submittable (once the application is submitted) to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendations, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, April 2, 2018.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to email@example.com with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.