award recognizes an outstanding research report, master’s thesis, dissertation
or published article related to women and health or women in health-related
endeavors. It is named for Elizabeth
Blackwell, M.D., the first woman to graduate from medical school, and made
possible by the generosity of Dr. Barbara “Penny” Kanner.
One $1000 awardDeadline:
Monday, April 2, 2018Criteria:
- Applicant must be currently registered in a graduate program at UCLA
- The research report, master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article must have been written while the applicant was enrolled in a UCLA graduate program
- Multi-authored articles will be considered, if the applicant can demonstrate a significant contribution to the research
- Awardee will
be honored at the CSW Awards Reception at UCLA in May/June 2018. Attendance is
- Students who
are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find
detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving
financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the
potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
- Research report or an abstract/summary of a master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article (maximum 6 single-spaced pages)- For published or accepted work, the committee will accept the published abstract and excerpts from the material to total no more than the allotted length of six pages in lieu of a written summary.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts
- Two Letters of Recommendation from faculty members of any university
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender's email address in the form and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendations, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, April 2, 2018.