FALL 2020 AND SPRING 2021 COVID-19 UPDATE
The Center for the Study of Women will continue to accept applications for the Fall 2020 cycle, including expenses to present at conferences remotely (e.g., registration fees). If you have questions regarding acceptable expenses, please contact us prior to applying.
Funded through donations from friends and supporters of the Center for the Study of Women, travel grants assist graduate and undergraduate UCLA students with travel expenses related to academic or professional conference presentations and field research on women, gender, and sexuality.
CSW offers two grant cycles every year. For the Fall cycle (deadline in November), only travel that occurs between July 1-December 31 in the respective year will be considered. For the Spring cycle (deadline extended to April), only travel that occurs between January 1-June 30 in the respective year will be considered. If travel crosses two cycles, the funding cycle will be determined by your return date. If your application is selected, award will be paid via reimbursement based on receipts after travel is completed.
CSW cannot reimburse travel to states on the law AB 1887 prohibited list. Law AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to a state that has passed a law that (1) authorizes discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or (2) voids or repeals existing state or local protections against such discrimination. For more information and the current list of states, review the Travel Notice: Assembly Bill 1887. If your travel is to a state on the list, we cannot accept your application.
Amount: $500 maximum (award amount and number of awards vary)
Deadline: Monday, March 29, 2021
- Travel for the spring grant must occur on or between January 1, 2021 and June 30, 2021
- Awardees will be selected on the basis of merit
- Awardees must be registered UCLA students and preferably a woman. Awardees must also be registered during the quarter when travel occurs and when the reimbursement is processed. For summer, students must be enrolled in the preceding spring quarter and subsequent fall or winter quarters.
- Travel must be for research or a conference pertaining to women, gender, and sexuality.
- For conference travel, awardee must provide evidence that the paper was delivered at a conference
- CSW reimburses the awardee only after receiving original (hard copy) receipts for eligible travel expenses
- Awardees will be honored at the CSW Awards Celebration at UCLA at a date to be determined (due to COVID-19, the 2020 Awards Celebration has been postponed). Attendance is highly encouraged.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
- Proposal describing project or conference paper (maximum 2 single-spaced pages, including works cited)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts (with most recent coursework)
- One Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member familiar with the research for which you are applying
Letter of Recommendation
The letter of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the reference's email address in the form and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including the letter of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, March 29, 2021.