Funded through donations from friends and supporters of the Center for the Study of Women, travel grants assist graduate and undergraduate UCLA students with travel expenses related to academic or professional conference presentations and field research on women, gender, and sexuality.
CSW offers two grant cycles every year. For the Fall cycle (deadline in November), only travel that occurs between July 1-December 31 in the respective year will be considered. For the Spring cycle (deadline in April), only travel that occurs between January 1-June 30 in the respective year will be considered. If your application is selected, award will be paid via reimbursement based on receipts after travel is completed.
CSW cannot reimburse travel to states on the law AB 1887 prohibited list. Law AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to a state that has passed a law that (1) authorizes discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or (2) voids or repeals existing state or local protections against such discrimination. For more information and the current list of states, visit Notice of New Law AB 1887 and FAQs regarding AB 1887 Requirements. If your travel is to a state on the list, we cannot accept your application.
Amount: $400 maximum (award amount varies)
Deadline: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- Travel for the fall grant must occur on or between July 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018
- Awardees will be selected on the basis of merit
- Awardees must be registered UCLA students and preferably a woman. Awardees must also be registered during the quarter when travel occurs and when the reimbursement is processed. For summer, students must be enrolled in the preceding spring quarter and subsequent fall or winter quarters.
- Travel must be for research or a conference pertaining to women, gender, and sexuality.
- For conference travel, awardee must provide evidence that the paper was delivered at a conference
- CSW reimburses the awardee only after receiving original (hard copy) receipts for eligible travel expenses
- Awardees will be honored at the CSW Awards Reception at UCLA in May/June 2019. Attendance is highly encouraged.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
- Proposal describing research project or conference paper (maximum 2 single-spaced pages, including works cited)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts
- One Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member familiar with the research for which you are applying
Letter of Recommendation
The letter of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the reference's email address in the form and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including the letter of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, November 13, 2018.